Monday, March 21, 2011

1.22.11


I started this list last month and before anything changes I think I ought to post it.

I have heard a lot of strange things since I have been pregnant, from a stranger talking to me at a Saints game about her decision to circumsise her son and her supporting arguments to my yoga instructor asking me matter-of-factly if I had hemorroids yet? In answer to her question, no, I don't. There are a few things that I don't have that I am grateful for and also a few things that I do have, can do or have experienced that I am pretty happy about.

Things I am thankful I don't have, yet:
✗     hemorroids
✗     heartburn
✗     stretchmarks
✗     any pregnancy complications
an outtie belly button (nothin' wrong with those, I just like my innie)

Things I can still do despite 35 extra pounds and the innability to see my feet:
✗     Put my leg up to shave it, not that I do
✗     The splits, both ways
✗     A full back bend/ bridge
✗     Squat down and stand right back up (which seems to be a big deal among my birthing class members)
✗     Wear my pre-pregnancy bras (not quite the same fit though!)

Not so thankful for:
✗     I cannot fit into any of my prepregnancy jeans since week 10, unbuttoned or not
✗     I have a “pregnancy mask”
✗     I have an extra bit of “hip fat”
✗     I have no lap
✗     Can't bend down to tie my shoes (I have to put my foot up on the dresser to tie my shoe)
✗     My back hurts
✗     I need 5 pillows to sleep
✗     I have a full body itch at night that doesn't go away. The Doc says it's official name is: The Pregnancy Itch. Wow, thanks Doc.
✗     Can't see my feet

It's kind of neat going through all these changes. I feel like a walking science project, things growing, kicking, hurting and changing. I actually really enjoy the fact that so many strangers talk to me just because I am pregnant, despite their sometimes outrageous comments.

I am going to keep working on my “things I can do” list and hopefully not add much to the “not so thankful for” list. We'll see...

This weekend is my baby shower and I am pretty excited for that. I am admitting that this is the first baby shower I have been to and it's my own. Sometime between highschool, college and now I moved away and we built a company. In the midst of all that I lost touch with all of the wonderful women and friends that were having children and I didn't get to be a part of their lives then. It makes me sad to know that I missed out on that, I guess I will just have to make a lot of younger friends now so I can catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment