I have posted my birth plan below with the actual events that took place in italics next to each point. I remember my Doula telling me to remember that just because this is the plan that I wanted, it didn't mean that this is the way my birth experience would pan out. I heard her words but did not think that I would be affected because I had maintained such a high level of fitness during my pregnancy and because I typically don't think the rules apply to me.
It turns out my Birthplan was just that, a plan. I basically went through my birthplan and did everything on it. I started with what I wanted, like a natural labor, and then I progressed through all of the interventions I did not want in the order of least invasive to most invasive. After this post I will write my actual birth story but this gives you the gist of it.
Mother: Angela Roberts
Father: Kyle Roberts
Hospital: Washington Hospital
Doctor: Scott Mack
Labor Assistant: Debbi Grim
Doula: Michelle Ogden-Stout
Listed below are our desires for the birth of our first child and we would like your help to accomplish our goals. We have educated ourselves prior to making these choices and feel that we are prepared to follow through on them. Also, please note that the mother is Type O positive.
Environment Wishes
1. Labor in my own clothes with the option of a gown. wore a gown
2. Lights dimmed. between interventions
3. Private room. always had a private room
Labor Wishes
1. "Natural birth" - avoiding all medication if possible (including, but not limited to, Pitocin, IV, epidural, etc.). I had cervadil to prepare my cervix, Pitocin to induce contractions, an IV hookup which was thoroughly used, Fentanyl- a narcotic that helps to relieve pain, an Epidural after laboring naturally for 10 hours and all of this followed by a cocktail of drugs before the Cesarean
2. Handle pain with relaxation, massage, and water. Please do not offer chemical pain relief. I was able to labor naturally without medication for about 7 hours
3. If an event should arise where medication would be needed, we would like to discuss alternatives and consequences and some private time for discussion. we were given every opportunity to discuss the next intervention and given privacy
-We request the opportunity to accept or refuse any procedure except in the case of an extreme emergency.
- Least invasive or restricting versions of procedures be used.
4. Avoid labor induction (Pitocin). I would prefer to initially try other methods of induction (i.e. changing positions, walking, nipple stimulation, cervical ripening, etc.) If the mother or baby are not in distress, we do not want chemical induction. I tried EVERY method of induction including cervical ripening and then the chemical induction
5. Absolute minimum of time attached to monitoring. I was able to do this until I received the Fentanyl which left me hooked up to the monitors for an hour and then I was able to move around until I received the Epidural
6. During labor, we would like the ability to:
- walk freely
- use the shower
- change positions throughout
- have access to clear liquids and ice
- have a quiet and encouraging environment
- avoid an excess of vaginal exams. had many vaginal exams, didn't mind them because I wanted to know what was going on with my body and the baby
7. I am alright with the IV hookup staying in my arm/hand for emergency access but I do not want to stay hooked up to the IV.
- Administer an IV only if necessary. this was necessary and I am grateful that I had the hookup ready when I needed it
8. Avoid catheterization and instead be able to walk to the bathroom or use a bedpan. not only did I get to have the catheter I also "got" to use a bedpan
9. No episiotomy. I would like perineal massage and warm compresses instead. I would rather tear than have an episiotomy. I did get to stick to this one!
10. If there is evidence of fetal distress on the external fetal monitor, we would like this to be verified with an internal fetal monitor before any action is taken. had the internal fetal monitor when the baby's heart rate dropped to 50 from 150 from trying to push with the squat bar.
11. We plan to use one of the following methods for pushing: the squatting or semi-squatting position or laying on my side with my mother holding my leg. I would like to push at my own pace. did all of the above.
12. I would like the Doula and my mother Debbi to be allowed to take photos or video tape parts of the labor and birth. because there were complications there were no photos or video allowed
Delivery Wishes
1. Place baby on my chest immediately after birth in order to "bond" and nurse. I got to see Ariah and she was held to my face for me to feel and kiss and 15 minutes later I was able to nurse
2. Any tests done to the baby while placed on the mother's chest. this didn't take place but after 12 hours of labor and a cesarean it lost rank
3. The father DOES want to cut the cord. because it was a cesarean Daddy got to trim the cord after it was cut
4. We would like to not have the cord cut until it has stopped pulsating. never re-crossed my mind, I just wanted her to breathe!
Newborn Wishes and Breastfeeding Goals
1. Private room if possible. yes
2. All procedures done at bedside. yes
3. No eye medication for the baby, either silver nitrate or erythromycin. there was meconium (poop) in her placenta so she needed the erythromycin.
4. We believe the baby is a girl but if the baby is a boy, then we would like a circumcision and for the father to be present. she's still a girl!
5. Establish breastfeeding.
- Please do not offer any bottles to the baby without parents' notification of a medical need. yes
6. We would like to be present at the baby’s first bath. yes
7. All newborn procedures to take place in my presence. yes
8. If I can’t be with my baby, I would like my husband to stay with the baby at all times. yes
Birth Recovery Goals
1. We prefer to have a private room, if available, and that the father and baby be allowed to room-in. yes
2. We prefer that our stay at the hospital be extended to the longest our insurance will allow so that the mother may recover as fully as possible before returning home. we stayed for 4 days
In an Emergency
1. If a Cesarean section is required the mother would like to be conscious. apparently all Cesareans are done with the mother conscious. Thank God for good drugs!
2. The mother would like the father present if he is willing. He was and I am so grateful.
3. We would prefer that our baby breastfeed immediately or as soon as possible afterward in the recovery room. Please do not offer the baby a bottle. yes
4.We prefer the baby and father remain in the recovery room with the mother. yes
No comments:
Post a Comment